Friday, January 30, 2009

Brain-Training tosh- "It's official"

Any time you hear that your kids' school is going to introduce Nintendo Brain-training for the pupils (and leaving aside the outrageous waste of money for the tax-payer), point them towards this very revealing piece of research. And trust me, some schools / education authorities ARE thinking of this.

As I said a while ago in a previous post, and as I have said very publicly (incl on radio), these things are very clever and fun toys, briliantly marketed, but they have no good controlled research to back up half the claims. I'm not saying don't get one - I'm just saying don't get one because you think its' the best thing (or even up there anywhere near the best things) for your brain or your kids' brains or your grandad's brain.

And that's all I'm going to say on the matter. Though I do say a bit more in my book, Know Your Brain ... Which was written 2-3 years ago before this new research came out. Not that I'd like to say "I told you so" ....